Monday, November 18, 2013

The Better Your Attitude, the Better Your Day


The Little Engine that Could

Dear Family,

I am doing better this week. You have probably been waiting a long time to hear me say that. I’m sorry. This week I found that talk by Elder Christofferson, “Give Us this Day our Daily Bread” on the little MP3 player. I was very excited because I hadn’t had time to read the entire talk, only the excerpts you have sent me. This talk is exactly what I needed. I have listened to it twice since I found it. I want to listen to it every morning, and may until I memorize it. Thank you for sharing it with me. It applies to me in so many ways.

So the big accomplishment this week is that I only cried once, maybe twice. I’m growing up. This morning while eating breakfast, ironing, etc. I was thinking about how much I have changed over the last couple of weeks. I have been humbled a lot. I am not quite sure what I expected coming out into the mission field, but I can assure you, it wasn’t this. I think I expected to just have people lining up to be baptized with all the emphasis the Church has been putting on missionary work. I believe the time to hasten the work is now and that the field is white and ready to harvest. What I forgot, and I think what a lot of people forget, is that harvesting a field takes a lot of hard work, it’s difficult. It’s not like the wheat is going to harvest itself. Dad is absolutely right, missionary work is difficult.

Even though it is difficult this week I really felt a difference. I understand the work better now and I feel more comfortable. I love Elder Christofferson’s talk because it applies to me in many ways. Two years is a lot of time, and it seems almost impossible. But we shouldn’t look ahead to the difficulty and pain. Take it one day at a time.


Another part of this talk that I love is the aspect of daily progression. I have so much to learn. I need to learn Spanish and multiple different aspects of the Gospel. I often feel overwhelmed with study. From this talk I have learned that the little parts I study every day will all add up in the end and I will become the missionary that I want to become. I love the idea of going to the Lord each night and going over the day with Him. It is so crucial for me right now. I need to break down what I do well and what I need to fix. I am also grateful because when I got here, I felt like I needed to get 40 people in Church in the first month. Missionary work is a process as well. The work progresses one day at a time and the results add up in the end.

Entonces, I am doing much better. I feel much more content. December is going to be a little rough, but I will take it one day at a time. It is sad because Holidays are so irrelevant here. It was 85 F today and it is supposed to get up to 42 C, which is HOT! 85 F = 29 C más o menos. So it is going to be a Heat Miser Christmas here. I’ve got a nice farmer tan though, so life is good.

The food here is great. It is pretty much the exact same as home, just not as much variety. I eat a lot of chicken and rice. My companion Elder N is awesome. We will always have a mamita here to do laundry for us, which is great because laundry took forever in the MTC. THANK YOU MOM! Thank you for everything. I am learning more and more that attitude is huge. The better your attitude, the better your day. FOCUS ON THE POSITIVE!

Love you all tons! ¡Oh esta todo bien!

Elder Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment